The Drive Day 1 (NY to TN)

I finally have a chance to sit down write about our drive to Texas.  Currently, we are living in a hotel, hubs is off running errands, and the kids and are attempting to nap.  Hotel living is not what I expected but I'll save those thoughts for another day.  Today I wanted to document our drive from my dad's house in Orange County, NY to San Antonio, TX.  We drove through 11 states in 3 days in separate cars with 2 kids and 2 dogs.  I'm slightly exhausted just thinking about all of that. 

We planned to pull a car so that we could all be together in one car.  That, however, didn't work out.  One would drive the car that was packed out all alone.  The other would drive a car with 2 kids, 2 dogs (under the kid's feet) that were packed with a grate on the back and carrier on top.  We are going to switch off as needed.


When we set out we would pick a few places on the map.  A place we needed to make it to, a realistic stopping point, and an "it would be awesome to reach" point.  Reevaluating those points as needed.  Nothing was set in stone as we never scheduled any hotel stays until we knew where we were stopping at night.  We figured that as long as we could make it to our need to spot it would take us about 5 or so days to get there.  It was a decent plan.  




Day 1 - Orange County, NY to Knoxville, TN

Day one was off to a rough start.  We needed to finish packing the cars and I was pushing to get on the road as soon as the kids woke up.  Then we realized all the room we saved for our suitcases would be in the trunk of the car with the grate on the back.  To open the truck to get at the stuff you would have to take the grate and everything on it off.  That would not work so Hubs spent about an hour fixing the problem.  I am glad we realized this before starting and not at some hotel when all we wanted to do was sleep.  


With the car repacked I settled in to drive the car with the kids.  I spent the whole trip with them.  It wasn't as bad as I first imagined it to be.  Punching San Antonio into the GPS spit out 1,838 miles.  That is an intimidating number of miles to have to drive especially when the kids were already getting restless and we hadn't even left the driveway.






My set up included everything I needed to hand to the kids within reach.  I also had to have lots of coffee (like always) and some iced tea or water on hand.  The iPod playlist of kid songs was ready to go if the iPad failed.  Which it did thanks to Bear kicking the charging cable.



Before I get all the questions and statements about how I took the pictures while driving and how dangerous it is.  I get it.  I can't believe I even have to explain myself, but here we go.  First off my phone sits in a holder near the GPS.  Without taking it out of the holder I can simply swipe left which brings up the camera.  Then hold or press the volume down button to snap a picture.  if you hold it down there is a rapid fire mode.  I could take a bunch of pics to pick from later on.  I went back and edited out the small bit of the car hood out that was on the bottom of every picture.  

Taken while stopped.

I am thankful for technology on long car trips like this.  Both kids were happy and amused 90% of the time.  The iPad played a LONG list of Curious George episodes the entire drive.  It was a long drive.  



At the first rest stop, the kids were able to stretch their legs until the rain clouds you can see in the background came rolling in.  Hubs and I got soaked trying to put the kids and dogs back into the car to move it under the awning.







The clouds cleared rather quickly and we pushed on to the next town.  We would need to make another stop before making it to our final resting spot for the night.  We pushed through to make it to Knoxville, TN.  It was a reach, but everyone was doing really well.  The kids were happily watching their shows and we were refueled with gas station coffee.

I knew the next day would be rough as the kids would be sick of being in the car so I tried to let them run and move when we got to the hotel.  









We drove in New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and Tennessee.  Lots of states to drive in on one day.  

since this is starting to get long and nap time is apparently very short today I will share days 2 and 3 tomorrow so look out for that.  

Comments

  1. Man you guys are rockstars!!!! I'm dreading the drive to wherever we go next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting it to be much worse than it was.

      Delete
  2. Man, you guys are awesome. That is one long day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! lol It really was a long day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

Popular Posts