Finds for a Friend

A while ago a friend of mine asked me to look out for some of the Lalaloopsy minis.  Her daughter wouldn't stop talking about them after playing at a friends house.  She shared that she took her daughter to the store all ready to buy them only to be told "they weren't the right ones" by her daughter.  The new ones have the rubber clothes and the old ones don't.  She really only wanted the old ones like her friend had.  She was searching the sale sites for her area and asked that I keep an eye out for them. When toys change or get discontinued they can be pretty expensive and she didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on them.  I completely understand this so I decided to help her out.  She said she wanted to spend no more than $40 total included the cost of shipping it to her.  

After about a week of looking, though not very hard I might add, I found one for $20.  It looked like a decent amount of stuff in the picture.  I'm not very knowledgeable of these toys but, based on the info from my friend this was what she was looking for.  

The average sale posts I found were asking about $1 per mini doll and about $20 per play set.  Pretty steep if you ask me for even for the best quality used toys.  Those aren't prices I would pay for them even if it wasn't my money.  Maybe, Maybe, for a single doll or two that my kid specifically asked for, but never for a starter set like my friend wanted.  From the pic on the ad, I could see 3-4 play sets (house, trees, bus), at least 2 dozen dolls, and a bunch of other stuff.   Obviously, compared to what I was finding this looked like a great deal.   The price is so low I figured I'd take the chance and jump on it.  I messaged the person and pick it up within 24 hours.  



There are only two reasons that I have found why people post stuff super low when every other post is more expensive.  The first is the items are just crap and not worth it all, but they are playing on the hype of the item.  The lot I was looking at appeared well cared for.  The lady clearly stored the items in the bin and storage case.  I also don't see lots of filth in or around the items.  She took the time to try to show what's there even if it was a quick picture.  I was pretty confident this wasn't crap.    

That leaves the only other option, she wanted it out of her house. Every now and then you find people that have toys they just want it gone.  The kids don't play with it and it's taking up space.  They price it low to get it sold quickly!  These are the Lots I'm looking for like the Lalaloopsysy one I found. 

 I let my friend know I found something for her, but wasn't sure just what.  I took it home, cleaned and sorted it.




There was way more there than I thought there would be.  The carrier case felt like Mary Poppins Bag, more items just kept coming out of it.  These were also in very good condition.  Most of the dolls were like new.



Since there were obviously a few sets there I spent about 5 minutes on google to see if I could pair up the play sets with its extra stuff.  It didn't take long, but none of the play sets were complete.  Not that it really matters for the price I got it for.  I put together what I could and moved on.  


This left me with the mess of extra stuff and then there were the bazillion mini dolls to deal with.  While I was cleaning them I did notice that there were some doubles.  Plenty looked similar in one way or another, but the doubles could be removed.  




At this point I text my friend.  Basically, I explained what I found and what was there.  I asked her if she wanted it all or just part. A few pics and skype call later we figured it all out.  She told me she wanted the house, accessories, and about 1/2 the dolls.  I pulled what she wanted aside then moved on to the rest.  She paid me $15 for it though I only asked her for $10.  



When I went through I pulled out all doubles.  There is no point in giving my friend two of the same stuff. These were all the doubles as far as characters and such go.


Below is what I ended up selling to someone else.  I put it on the site for $20, but took $15 for it.  Someone picked it up quickly which was good since we were about move and I didn't want to be stuck with it. 


I ended up keeping a small bag of the dolls and extra stuff I didn't sell for Eve and/or my niece.  I don't know what I'm going to do with the stuff I pulled aside.  My nieces is about the right age for it so it likely will just go to her.  Eve is not close to the age at which she could play with them anytime soon.  

Sure, I could have sold the rest and made a bit more profit off of the items, but I'm happy with what I got.  Who knows that's not out of the question just yet.  To recap.... $20 item that I resold for $30, giving me a profit of $10.  

Casey:  I hope C & S enjoy these!

Comments

  1. My niece was obsessed with lalaloopsys for a long time! They really are cute, such a great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of these right place right time sort of things.

      Delete
  2. Man, you should start a business! I am always impressed with your finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad does do some of that. He fixed up old beat up furniture and sells them in his free time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

Popular Posts