Staring at Trucks All Day

AKA...the day the movers came.

They arrived right on time at 8 AM sharp which normally never happens. I'm very happy that they wanted to get an early start as the kids seem to do better easing into the morning.  This site though brought with it lots of nervousness in me.  I knew it was going to be a long day and I just wanted it all to go smoothly.  


 I mean doesn't she look thrilled to be awake?  She mean mugged just about anyone that looked at her for a long time this morning.


 They started with the stuff downstairs first because pretty much all the heavy items were down there.  The washer, dryer, deep freezer, gun safe and treadmill are not easy things to pack.  They pulled everything out onto the driveway or lawn.  It didn't look so bad at first.


I tried to relax a bit so Hubs made some french press coffee.  There was no way I was making it through today without coffee.  It was delicious as always.  Thank you Hubs!


Bear is not a fan of mornings either however his butt was the first one up.  So when the excitement of the big truck arriving ended he wanted to get in the poor movers' way.  I would love to say that the iPad was hardly used but by this point in the process I just wanted the kid quiet and contained.  Eve was content for a while just playing in her corral area with the toys so we let her be.



I was able to plop my butt down in the middle of the living room with my hot cup of coffee while the kids were entertained.  I had a good view of what was going on outside as well.  Normally I never pay this much attention to the packing.  That's Hubs job.  However, I couldn't help but watch this weird live Tetris with our stuff.


Remember how I said that it wasn't bad at first?  This is when I started thinking that we have too much stuff.  That I need to seriously downsize on the flip end because this is just a lot when it's displayed out on your front lawn.



I needed something to do to get my mind off of how much was there so I went to help Hubs take apart the crib.  Now, normally we let the movers or packer do that sort of thing.  They asked if Hubs minded taking apart some of the furniture as they were short handed.  The only item he felt comfortable taking apart was the crib as it's all by hand.  Until putting the screws back in.  Which this new tool made it very easy.  


   We left Bears IKEA Kura bed, our bed and the kitchen table for them to take apart.  Time wise I think it took two guys 20 minutes to take apart Bears bed while the third guy took apart the kitchen table and our bed in that same time.  The crib took Hubs (and a very little bit of help from me) about 25minutes start to finish.  So it did save them some time. It also gave me the opportunity to take a Clorox wipe to it.  


Once they emptied the downstairs you realize how much random dust/debris and dog hair work their way into every little nook.  I was also shocked at the color difference in the carpet!  The top pick is where my treadmill was for almost 2 years.  I swear we vacuum more than normal and even clean the carpets more than normal.  Thankfully the vacuum over this made a world of difference, but yuck!



The pups couldn't be in the back yard while they were emptying out the lower level as they had to go through the back yard with everything.   That meant the dogs were stuck out in the porch.  It was sunny but not a terribly hot day thanks to a cool breeze, however, the dogs liked the makeshift shading.  



At this point, they moved onto the grass. They seem to need more space as they were trying to find just the right item to fit into the crates.  I swear that is not an easy job.  "Bring me a light small item this big." I don't envy having to do this especially not as we looked on.


I mean the goal is to pack the crates full without damaging anything.  They certainly had enough stuff to work with!  


Right around noon the first truck was packed and on its way out.  We had a total of 5 crates on that truck.  


The second truck arrived and they quickly began filling the crates with the majority of stuff from the upper level of our house. 


  
Like I said earlier, Hubs was not going to touch Bear's Bed.  It was too many pieces and too many ways it could go wrong.  We did not want to be responsible for that.  Eve napped in her car seat while they emptied the upstairs.  Bear also took a break for lunch and watches some videos on the iPad.


This was our view.  One person brings things to the stairs and someone else bringing it outside.

Once the house was clear we all went outside to get a bit of fresh air.  Bear had fun just sitting around watching the movers fill the crates until the garbage trucks came by.  

This is our setup now.  Eve's corral is off in now corner to give her some space to play without being in the way.  She liked the freedom.  

I mentioned Bear liked to watch the trucks that kept coming by as well as the movers.  For the most part, this was his way of doing so.  Aside from the moving trucks, we had the Garbage truck, Recycling truck, two tree cutting trucks, and several larger pickup trucks driving back around our tiny neighborhood. He seemed to enjoy it the most.  Little boys and their trucks.


On a side note...  This is Eve's first move.  It needed to be documented for some odd reason.  She handled it pretty well so far.  Now we will see how she does in the pack and play.  Fingers crossed it goes well, please!

They finished up and closed the 11th crate at 4:30 PM.  Technically we filled 10 1/2 crates and there were tons of moving blankets in with the last of our stuff.  Thankfully they didn't need anything else, but they did seem to have to mount some items on the outside.

Goodbye Stuff!

When the truck pulled out we were itching to get out of the house and get some food.  We really hadn't eaten all day so we need deliciously gross food.  Naturally, that meant Red Robin.  Bear would actually eat something more than just gold fish crackers and Green Machine.  I'm happy to report that he ate his whole meal and some of mine.


Now it's time to set up our cots and the kids beds so off I go!

Comments

  1. So much is happening!!! :) I know you guys are just ready for this transition to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm ready for that next step. Once a Job is secured I'll be a lot better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?