1st Day of Speech

Bear has been struggling with speech and language for a while now.  We tried early intervention (EI) through the state and that was a massive flop.  He learned more from us than he did in several months in EI.  When his three year check up came around we knew his speech or lack there of would be brought up again.  The pediatrician recommended speech therapy for him.  I was fine with that as long as it mean a formal setting and not through the same state run agency.  I was happy when they recommended Bear to a speech therapist about 20 minutes from us.

Initially, we took him in for his evaluation bright and early one morning.  They found out that he indeed could use their services.  While he was shy with (for these purposes let's call her) Ms. Samantha, he warmed up to her quickly.  She was able to see most of what we see with Bear.  When all the paperwork was said and done Bear we signed up for two sessions a week with Ms. Samantha.


His first session was last week and boy was it rough.  It was one of those days where everything just seemed to go wrong.  We woke up late and therefore got out the door a bit later than I had wanted to.  No less than three wrong turns later we somehow managed to pull into the facility and squeeze into the last remaining spot in the parking lot. I load EV up into the Ergo carrier, wrangle the McQueen car out of Bear's hands while accidentally hitting my car door into the care parked next to us.  UGH.  Thankfully no damage to anything!  I get Bear out of the car and into the building to find that the elevator is broken. Stairs it is.  We take the two flights up where someone was thankfully coming through the door that needed a code to open.  One I was never given.


We make it to speech with 2 minutes to spare.  I find a seat and let Bear play until they come get him.  This is when EV decided that sitting down was not going to happen.  In fact anything less than rocking or walking was entirely unacceptable that she clearly vocalized to the entire quiet waiting room.  Just when I think things cant get any worse they do.

Ms. Samantha brings Bear out after only 10 minutes to tell me he went to the bathroom and she doesn't want him sitting in it the whole session.  I can't blame her as I could smell it the second that I saw him.  I made the mistake of assuming that like normal Bear wouldn't poop in public.  He never has before so why would he today? I ask her to hold on while I run down to my car to grab a diaper and wipes for him.


I don't know if any of you have ever attempted to clean a messy poop diaper on a wiggly toddler in a small public bathroom while he is standing up and you have a crying toddler strapped to your chest, but its sucks!  I would gladly endure another c-section recovery than to do that again. EVER!!!!

The remaining 10 minutes of his Speech seemed to go OK.  Only if you can ignore the married couple that was arguing in the corner over buying new bedding for their kids.  They were trying to whisper, but failing horribly.   I kept to myself and just pray they are not there at the next session we go to.

Thankfully, he came out and seemed happy as can be.  He is still a bit all over the place, but I'm hoping that this subsides in future sessions.  He is eager to go so there is that!

Lessons learned this session:

  1. Leave a few minutes earlier
  2. Don't let Bear take a toy with him in the car when we are going to Speech
  3. Keep EV in her car seat
  4. Bring a small diaper pack up with me just in case.

I guess we will see how the next one goes!





Comments

  1. I'm so glad that he seemed happy when he came out despite the hiccups.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?