Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Attempting to nap


Most of the time I can handle little to no sleep.  However, today is another story.  Three cups of coffee later and I'm still fighting to keep my eyes open.  With EV fast asleep in her crib, I figured I could put the toddler on the couch next to me, turn on bob the builder and maybe catch a few zzz's.  I was sort of right.

Normally, I will shut my eyes and fall into one of those sleeps where you can still fully hear everything that is going, but still get the rest you need.  Well, today I drifted in and out of that kind of sleep for about 2 hours.  When Bear was on the couch curled up with me I could sleep.  When he got down to play I could hear everything and still relax.  This is a useful parenting ability on days like today.  


He started off on the couch with me for about 2 episodes before climbing down.  The first time I opened my eyes it was because I heard too much laughter to feel comfortable that he wasn't doing something wrong.  He was playing with Duke, handing him all of nylon bones and laughing as Duke can't decide which to chew.  He was also crawling all over him which they both love.


The next time I open my eyes I find Duke inches from my face with a pissed off look.  I've seen this look from Duke before and it's usually when he wants to tell me Bear is a jerk.  I glance over to Bear and he has hoarded all the nylon bones for himself on his little chair.  I tell Bear to give Duke back his bones and all is right with world.  Bear then rejoined me in the couch for some more bob the builder.  


A little while after he crawls off of me I awake instantly when Bear shoves the Xbox remote into my face.  Netflix has decided to ask me if Bear is still watching rather than allowing him to binge watch Bob so I can catch up on some much needed rest. Thanks Netflix!  He snuggled back in with me for a bit longer when I put his show back on.


The end of my attempted nap came when Bear crawled down a final time.  He handed me his cup and said "milk."  I told him just a minute and put it on the table in front of me.  He once again said "milk" then opened my hand and placed the cup in it.  I again told him just a minute.  Well it must have been a LONG minute because I was abruptly awaken by a gallon of milk being plopped in my lap.  Thankfully, he didn't drop it or spill anything!  He even put it away.  Go figure!


The abrupt end to my attempt at napping did help somewhat.  Mixed in there I was able to get a bit of sleep.  Enough for me to make it through to bedtime anyway.  Not one of my shining parenting moment but this is real life.  Some days you just do whatever you need to make it through.  


6 comments:

  1. I never nap when E naps lol I'm bad about it. I just find so many other things that I need to get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much the same way! If it's daytime hours I should be up and likely doing something.

      Delete
  2. I call this "time traveling" on the couch. Resting while my older kid sits with me and the younger one naps in their bed. If I couldn't do it every once in a while, I'd probably go insane. Plus it's not a nap, you just tell your husband you time traveled this afternoon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful ability, it just wasn't working out for me this particular day.

      Delete
  3. I am so very relieved to hear that I am not the only mom that occasionally does this. It's crazy how you are aware of what is going on but still able to feel rested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a much needed skill on rough day! I think its a mom only ability too as hubby does not seem to be able to do this.

      Delete

Your thoughts?