Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Oobleck Fun

I decided Bear needed some fun this past weekend that didn't involve being outside in the extreme heat.  After a search through the pantry I settled on Oobleck.  A wonderful and simple Dr. Seuss like creation.  I'm not sure who came up with it, but it's simple and easy sensory play I learned to make while working with early childhood kids.




To make Oobleck all you need is a container, corn starch, and water.  The ratio is about 1:2 for water to corn starch.  I eyeball it when I make.  That said add water slowly.  What you are looking for is when properly mixed is for it to be "hard" when pressure is applied and liquid when released.  



You can see here that you can cut/break apart the Oobleck.  When left alone it turns back too goop.

You can add a couple of drops of food dye, but I typically opt out.



If it gets on something like your clothes or furniture just a wet sponge will clean it right up.  



When your kid is done playing with it you can put the lid on and save it for a few days.  It can and often will dry out.  It turns into a grated cheese type texture.  I'll often let him play with it just like that for a bit.  If he wants it more Oobleck like I add a teaspoon of water at a time.



After reviving it once, its just not the same so I toss it.

We have expanded this from just playing with it to hiding small items from the dollar store.  For example I put a few drops of blue into the mix and then added some seashells and hard plastic sea animals.  I also encourage Bear to vocalize what he's found in the Oobleck, to count the items, or describe what he is physically feeling.  


Have you made Oobleck before?

4 comments:

  1. I love this stuff, my Mom used to do this for me when I was a kid and it was always so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun for even us to play with. Bear also is shy to get dirty but this he seems to be all about. Probably because its easier to clean off when he is done.

      Delete
  2. My husband loves this stuff! He always makes it for the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?