NIAW: Start Asking



Source


As part of National Infertility Awareness Week, I'll be talking a bit about my own struggle with infertility.  Yes, I have two children, but it was NOT an easy road to get there.  You can read more about my journey to where I am today by clicking HERE and HERE.  That said, I am here to talk about their theme for this year; START ASKING!


I thought about this topic for a while before I started to write this post.  There was a nagging feeling about what exactly I wanted to add to this topic.  Something I could add about my own perspective.  I knew what it should be.


Long before I even thought about wanting children, I knew there was a problem.  I never once had a regular cycle.  I shrugged it off.  It was just something that I needed to deal with and move on.  I never really mentioned it during my annual checkup.  When I did decide to say something I always got the same response.  Let's put you on Birth Control Pills and it should fix itself.  Yet it never did.  I still wasn't regular.  I did mention it again after the prescription ran out.  I was told by the same doctor that it would take a bit for my body to self regulate.  It never did.  I once again shrugged it off.  I figured I could revisit it when I got to the point of having kids.  

When I did finally ask the tough questions it was 10 years later and we were six months into trying for our first kid.  It would take another year and a half before I got a diagnosis.  Something to explain what I was going through.

Putting off asking the tough questions is something I deeply regret doing.  I wish I had asked more questions.  Pushed a bit harder to get answers.  Advocated more for myself.  It's not an easy thing to do for yourself, but it is the right thing.  If you don't start asking the hard questions early on it won't get any easier or any better by pushing it off.  If there are things you can do to help yourself, why would you not want to do them?  At the end of the day you are the only one who can start asking the tough questions and that's you!  If you think something is wrong say something.  The sooner you know the better you will be.  so START ASKING!






Comments