Sunday, April 10, 2016

A dreadful task

I spent an entire day sorting all of Bears' old clothes.  It's a task I have been putting off for a long time because frankly it sucks.  I decided I wanted to save some money with this this next baby and the easiest thing to do was to reuse some of Bears' old clothes.



This little baby is a Girl but we did a buy and were gifted many gender neutral items.  The plan is to reuse as much as I can.  At least what I deemed were not too masculine for her.  Thankfully I was a able to put many aside for her to use.  In fact there are roughly 7 medium sized space saver bags of clothes we deemed gender neutral.



Each bag is a different size so I don't need to fish through bags of multiple sizes when she moves up.  In the basket there is all Bears' old winter gear and newborn clothing.  

It was not an easy task to get here.  







There were many items I wanted to hold onto but I made the tough cuts and I'm happy to say that I didn't save nearly as much as I thought I would.





The green space saver bag has newborn through 9 month clothing.  The orange bag has 12 month and 18 month clothing. 2T clothes will go in here as well whenever he outgrows them.  At this current rate that could be a full year from now!

Bear is still technically in some 18 month clothing, but most of that is for the second time around.  He fit into all his old shorts and t-shirts.  Stuff I likely would not have kept anyway.  

I guess my need to save some of his clothes comes in part from that "what if" factor.  The what if we did have another kid even though we say we are done.  Stranger things have happened.  The other part is sentimental.  There are some I just can't throw out try as I might. I wouldn't mind passing them on to a nephew one day.  If I decide to get rid of them before our siblings have more kids the I may pull several outfits out and make a quilt of them.  Who knows? 



For now, I'll take whatever savings I can when it comes to kids clothing.  It's so expensive when the kid only wears it for such a short period of time.  I also will be happy with the downsizing progress I have already made and hope it keeps me motivated to do more!  All of those clothes down to 2 space saver bags of keep items.  Honestly I'm proud of the progress so far!  Now off to do more cleaning as the community yard sale is in 2 weeks and I want to be ready!

3 comments:

  1. Sorting baby clothes is always so hard. I want to keep so many for sentimental reasons but then I don't know what I'll do with them. Good job on finding so many to reuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of keeping a few outfits and making a quilt top out of them. Something I can keep that is functional I guess. Other than that I'm out of ideas of what to do with it.

      Delete
  2. That is one project I am SO SO glad I kept up on with Gray. All of her clothing is neatly sorted as she grew out of it. Has been a lifesaver as now we get to reuse all of it for Brooke!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?