Thursday, March 31, 2016

First use of our ice cream maker

Though it wasn't ice cream that we made.  After a friend mentioned she made watermelon sorbet I had to try it.  A quick phone call and a trip to the store, I had everything I needed.


The seedless watermelons have been really good lately so I picked up extra and decided to puree most of it for future use.  I cut up the watermelon and Hubby made a simple syrup on the stove. 


It was cooked in a pot then transferred to the glass bowl to cool it down faster.  Hubby then put it in the fridge to get cold.  I continued slicing away putting the watermelon chunk into the blender.  When I reached 6-7 cups, on it went.


This is the result.  It's so delicious I could have drank it all even though it's just pureed watermelon.


From there is needs to get strained in order to have a smooth texture.


I ran it though a fine mesh strainer directly into the simple syrup bowl.  I added lime juice and a touch of salt as well.  From here you can mix and put it in the fridge to chill.  


For me though I had two more watermelons to break down, puree and strain.  Yes, they were that good!  I strained them into a clean bowl and poured them into 1 quart containers to freeze for later use.  I also ended up with 3 quarts of cubed watermelon for eating. Note one of the round seedless watermelons will make one large recipe and then some extra for eating later.


Once it was chilled, I brought up the core from the deep freezer and filled it with the mixture.


 Quickly added the mixer part and lid.


I turned it on and walked away for 25 minutes.


It wasn't quite there so I let it go for another 10 minutes.  Hindsight, I should have used half the mixture and just saved the other half in the fridge to do a day or two later.


I had started scooping it into containers before I remember to snap a pic, but this is what it looked like.  A thick frozen slushy like mixture.  It tasted good, but it needed to be put in the freezer overnight.  




The next day we had yummy watermelon sorbet (pictured above).  I didn't post a recipe because we haven't quite perfected it yet.  It was a bit too sweet for my liking from the recipe my friend gave us.  Next time, I will cut down on the simple syrup and see how that works.  Watermelon is after all already sweet to start with.



4 comments:

  1. Oh how I love my ice cream machine! It really is such an awesome investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best thing ever! I can't believe that I have gone this long without it.

      Delete

Your thoughts?