Monday, May 25, 2015

Working towards being a Flexitarian

Back when I was in college I was in the best shape of my life.


I don't mean to toot my own horn but I had an amazing body back in the day.  Not that you could tell from this picture but imagine something similar to Britney in her prime with a much bigger chest and brown hair.  I worked out in my free time and ate extremely well.  There was no freshman 15 for me.

I got in fantastic shape then I worked hard to maintain it.  Keeping on track food wise helped me tremendously.  The saying you can't out exercise a bad diet really is true.  While everyone else was ordering pizzas and eating fast food there I was with a bowl of salad or a piece of fruit.  This is a bit of an exaggeration as I did partake in these things every now and then.  You have to indulge sometimes.  However this was a rare occasion for me.

Living at college though meant that I spent the majority of the time trying to eat the healthiest food from whatever garbage they were serving at the cafeteria.  Eating right often meant that I would be eating the same thing meal after meal or day after day.  Sometimes just salads and veggies.  Over time this bothered me less and less.  Then again not having to cook for yourself was a blessing back then.

 A lot of my effort started to pay off when I began eating a heavy plant based diet. I was eating a mostly vegetarian with maybe 2-3 meals a week that included some type of animal protein.  The term commonly used for this is know as flexitarian.  Really it means flexible Vegetarian or as Hubby calls it "a bad vegetarian"... lol.  He is right I guess.  Regardless of what it is called my body responded best to this type of diet.

Now I am getting back into the flexitarian diet is one of my biggest health goals.  The heavy plant based diet was good for my body and good for me.  I like eating the vast majority of vegetables so it was an easy fit.  It has been something I have been working towards for the past month anyway.  Giving it a title really doesn't change that.  

This does not come without its challenges.  My husband is, as I lovingly call him, a carnivore.  He likes vegetables just fine but for him it is all about the meat on the plate.  That's the star for him so to speak.  Even when I make something without meat or specifically vegetarian he often will rummage through the fridge to find whatever left over chicken or steak we have and dumps it onto his plate to mix into the meal I made.  I don't have an issue with this because while I don't feel like I always need to have meat on my plate, while he does.  To each their own.  Still, me moving more towards a plant based diet you can easily see how this could become a problem.  I tend to be the one cooking meals the majority of the time, so I will need to make sure that I am cooking some meat on the side for him to add into the dish later on.  Even if it simply means keeping some grilled chicken in the fridge specifically for him.  I am hoping that this "fix" for him will be enough for him.  I guess only time will tell.

Starting dinner...

I feel I should add that I have no problem with eating animal meat or animal by products (eggs, milk).  I do prefer organic, free range, etc. items when I do pick them up, but let's face it, that can get expensive quickly.  I also don't always have access to them.  So I will use whatever I can get when needed.  

My decision to move towards the Flexitarian diet is simply based on my desire to get healthy.  Get back into shape.  One does not need to do this to get healthy but for me this is what has worked in the past.  You can get the same results you once had but you need to do the same things you used to do.  For me this is what has worked in the past.  I have no doubt in my mind that this will work for me now.  



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you know exactly what you need to do, I'm sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?