Thursday, April 9, 2015

HSG results

Following two weeks worth of waiting to take this test, we woke up excessively early to make my appointment several hours away.  I needed to get a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) test.  This means a dye is pumped into the uterus which should flow thought the Fallopian Tubes and into the body cavity.  The path of the dye is monitored through x-ray in real time.  If the dye flows though without an issue then your tubes are open.  If by chance they don't then that is clearly a problem which needs to be addressed.

Luckily for me my tubes were open.  My right side took a bit longer for the dye to flow through but as the doctor so nicely put it "no ones uterus lays perfectly flat in the body which was a surprise to me after medical school all those years ago."  Basically one was more laying forward and the other laying slightly backwards.  I rolled to my side and the dye poured out like it should have.

This wasn't my normal RE but another one in the same practice.  After working with her I am happy to say that I am very glad she did the procedure for me.  This is not to say that I have anything against my RE performing the procedure, he just wasn't in that day.  I have worked with her before over the phone but never in person.  She is as sweet as she seems over the phone which made the procedure go that much smoother.

Another thing I would like to note is the HSG test is a rather uncomfortable one.  Lots of cramping and mild pain during it but I of course forgot to bring Tylenol with me.  I remember it hurting a bit after the first time I had it done but since it had been almost 5 years since my last HSG I was foggy on post test details.  Thankfully I built it up to be so much worse than it was in my head.  While they didn't want me to drive (hello long drive) I think I could have been just fine doing so.  Mild cramping throughout the next few days but nothing major.  I didn't even bother to take anything for it.

I was also very thankful to have Hubby there to watch Bear.  Hubby was super smart in folding down one of the seats and letting Bear run around in the car while I went in for the test.  I came out and he was happy, fed, and still in his PJ's.  Much like I wanted to be.

In the end I was basically told that we can start again next cycle.  That is if we are still here.  Which is looking like we will be.  So now we wait.  Again.

Obviously we couldn't be in the land of things and not do a little shopping.  I stayed in the car for obvious reasons but Hubby ran into Target to pick up a few things we needed.  I stayed in the car.  :(
And of course took a selfie...

Grumpy Bear was starting to lose it.
Thankfully it was nothing that a bottle couldn't fix.
Also please ignore my lack of makeup.

Could tell I was still riding the high of the good test results?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that your tubes are open and that the test went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are excited about it all.

      Delete

Your thoughts?