Monday, March 23, 2015

Don't Yuck My Yum

As a parent I think one of my goals is to not pass on my hang ups onto my child.  I want to let them form their own opinions on something without my thoughts getting in the way.  One of these things has to do with food preferences. We have a rule in our family...

Don't Yuck My Yum

It's rather easy to understand but it basically means just because you don't like something doesn't mean someone else can't like it.  There is no food bashing in this house.  That said you also don't have to eat something you don't like.

One ingredient that I greatly dislike is Cherry.  Not just the artificial flavor either.  I don't like anything with cherry in it. Fruit punch, yogurt, fruit salad, cherry glazed lamb, etc are all things you will never see me eating.  Ever.  I tend to not reach for anything with Cherries in it.  That is unless Hubby specifically asked for it.  This also changed when Bear began to eat solid food.  I want him to like a large variety of foods, so naturally I want him to like Cherry as well even if I don't.

So I started small.  I picked up a Black Cherry Yogurt because there wasn't any of his regular yogurt available.  


ignore my awkward hand placement.
He liked it quite a bit.

Apple sauce is another one of Bears' favorite foods.  The Mott's brand makes the little cups that have various fruits blended in to it, cherry being one of them.  This seemed easy enough so I picked it up. 



He loved it!  It's one of his favorites by far!

Hopefully, I can keep finding things that he likes regardless of our feelings of it.  Is there anything you hate but your kids love?  How do you handle it?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of Cherry either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is about it but I just don't like it.

      Delete

Your thoughts?