A Kitchen in France (a cookbook review)

Recently I received a copy of A Kitchen in France by Mimi Thorisson to review.




I have a love for all things French so when this cookbook popped up on the market I knew I had to get my hands on it.  Simple french home cooking is what I was looking for but that is not exactly what I got. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing at all! The recipes felt to me like they were meant for the weekend or a holiday.  They were meals to be savored and enjoy.  Not just the food itself but the whole cooking process.  My view is however swayed by my packed schedule and typical rushed weekday meals.  I will look forward to diving into this on the weekends.



To start I love the classic feel of this book.  The beautiful pictures and adaptable recipes make this cookbook one I could see myself using for years to come.  Which is not easy for me to say.  What immediately pulled me in was that Thorisson arranged her recipes by seasons.  I am a huge fan of cooking seasonally appropriate produce.  You don't break the bank and it is fresh!

This brings me to another point.  She includes substitutes for within her recipes.  If you can't find "A" how about "X" or "Y."  As someone who lives outside of a booming metropolitan area, it means that I can always find something within her substitutions.   Far too often chefs forget that not everyone has access to high end ingredients.  This sold me on the cookbook but it doesn't stop there.

"Four 1 1/2-pound/ 680-g Poussins or Guinea Hens"


Mimi Thorisson made the smart decision to include the recipes in Metric AND Standard.  I love French cooking but having to convert everything can be a big pain.  You can see what I am taking about in the picture above.  Having just Metric will often deter people from picking up a cookbook because of the extra effort they have to put into a recipe when they are already intimidate by cooking it.

That said she has done a wonderful job including classic French dishes and making them less intimidating for the basic home chef.  You can find dishes like Ratatouille and Coqou Vin along with many others.  That said though I think there is something in there for everyone no matter what your cooking level is.

On a final note I will say that I found the personal snip its before each recipe very charming.  Whether she is talking about the culture, a personal story or just giving some cooking tips you can see the passion she has for French cooking.  It screams through in her writing and more importantly her recipes.  Thorisson takes you on a culinary journey throughout her cookbook and I for one am happy to join her.



If you would like to know more about this cookbook or Mimi Thorisson click on the links below.





FTC Disclaimer:  I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.  The thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.  

Comments

  1. Oh that cookbook sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was on my amazon wishlist and when It came up I couldn't pass it up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?