Meal Plan Monday + freezer meals

Mrs Ma'am from "Life as a Cajun Bombshell" talked about restarting a Meal Plan Monday.  It sounded like a good idea so I'm joining in.   In addition I had to rewrite the post that was supposed to go up last week to work for this week. Blogger apparently hates me and never posted it.  I added in my freezer meals post that I wanted to do for this week.

This is my meal plan for the last two weeks...



I like to keep my meal planning relatively flexible.  I will make a note what food will spoil quickly and those meals will get eaten first.  Aside from that, it is mostly a "what are you feeling like tonight ?" kinda thing.  I realize this menu looks sparse.  Six meals planned but two weeks worth of dinners.  Crazy I know.  However for us this works right now.  With Hubby's crazy schedule I try not to plan meals by the day.  It just wouldn't work for us.  However, I can supplement meals with what I have in the freezer or with salads.  We always have salad supplies on hand.

_______________________________________________

The number one most asked question I get is about my freezer meals.  I plan to do a more in depth post about it but here is a peek at my deep freezer.  It's why I can get away with the such a short meal plan for the week.

We have a deep freezer which obviously helps but you can do this on a smaller scale to work with what you have.  Here is a peek inside my deep freezer.

As you can see there is a bit of stuff in there.  I keep frozen veggies on top which because of the light was washed out in the pictures.  This is just stuff from the store but if we every got the garden going again the overflow would be kept there as well.  The next shelf down is kind of a catch all.  Things that need to freeze or have no where else to go.  Shelves 3 and 4 are for Reheat freezer meals.  The basket is for meats in food saver bags.  The next shelf is for uncooked or prep meals which I don't currently have so its over flow.  Finally the last basket is for food saver meats that have a marinade included in them and the extra crawfish tails from the boils we have had throughout the year.   The door has butter, ice packs and fruit pops.






You can see I use 1 quart and 1/2 quart Tupperware containers.  I label everything but there is nothing worse than finding a random unidentifiable meal.

For the most part I keep the basics in there all the time unless we are getting close to a PCS.

Green Soup
Chili
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Minus tortillas)
Red Beans and rice (Minus the rice)
Sauce and/or Gravy (depending on how Italian you are)
Italian chicken lentil soup
Spinach stuffed shells (raw)
Meatballs
chicken breast (a variety of chopped, in strips, whole, and marinated that I make myself using the food saver)

I try to double recipes that freeze well and can have a fresh component added to them. I like freezer meals to not feel like you are eating leftovers and the fresh components helps do that.  cooking rice or adding some fresh toppings livens it up a bit.

Bear is waking up from his nap so I need to get a move on.  If you have any question let me know!

Comments