We found a brand

A cloth diapering brand that is.  I know, I know, I know.  Those of you who are very into using multiple brands of cloth diapers aren't going to like this post.  So let me say please keep the negative comments to yourself about what I will be saying.

I have research, debated, and researched some more about which type of cloth diaper will work best for us.  It came down to All in ones (AIO) or Pocket diapers.  I talked it over with Hunter and we agreed that Pockets seemed to be the best fit for us because you can adjust the absorbency of the diaper to fit the child's needs.  I had to physically see them and feel them though to pick the brand that I wanted to invest in.

I met up with a few ladies in town to get their opinions and take a look at their cloth diapers.  I was able to narrow it down to Charlie Banana and Flip diapers.  Charlie Banana's is a relatively new brand that hasn't seemed to make much of a splash in the cloth diapering community.  On the flip side Flip is incredibly well known.  To me popularity doesn't phase me too much.  A good diaper is a good diaper.  They are also so very similar it didn't seem like much of a debate.  As you might have guessed.  We are going with Charlie Banana Cloth Diapers.  The look and feel of them coupled with the smaller price tag seemed to work for us.

Rather than give you a review on something I haven't used and wont for a few months, This review by Bay Area Mommy can do that for you.

Image from Bay Area Mommy (dot) Net  This image is from her post that you can find by clicking the link above.

As you can see in the picture above the singles come with 2 inserts and adjustable leg gussets.  Something that will obviously help when using a diaper that can go from 6lbs to 30lbs. We took the plunge and purchased 5 packs (6 diapers in each pack) of the one size cloth diapers.  Below are the colors we picked out.  I tried to remain as gender neutral as possible.  Looking back I should have probably gotten two of the top left as the bottom left is basically the same only with pink instead of white.  Oh well If we have a boy I know which one will be a night time diaper.  Not pictured is a pack of all white.  That was obviously Hunters request.  If it was up to him we would have gotten all white.  I however like the color variety so I compromised with one white pack.



We will also pick up 1 (maybe 2) more pack(s) once we know the gender.  While the ones above can work for both I would like a few more boy or girl ones to the stash.  I say possibly two because I don't know that I can decide between the different gender packs.  Missing is one boy print pack.  Similar dark blue colors but throw in a med and dark green color diaper for the light ones.


Yes, it slightly killed me to know the mass amount up front price that we just dropped but I know in the end it will be well worth it.  Even if I my wallet is crying.


Ok those of you may be wondering why one brand.  To me this is simple.  I used only one brand of cloth diapers when I was a nanny.  The Charlie Banana brand most resembles that brand which is now nonexistent.  I used  that one brand for two completely different babies.  One was small and tiny.  I mean tiny like she was still in 3 month clothing at 7 months old tiny.  Then there was her brother.  A whopping 10lb baby from birth with the adorable rolls and chunks to prove it.  The same diapers worked equally as well on him as they did on his tiny sister.  To mean this means being a one brand cloth diapering family can work successfully.

I know others say that different brands worked for them better at different stages.  This could totally be true for you and your baby.  Where there times when I struggled to find the perfect combination of snaps and leg adjustments, you bet your butt I did.  There were leaks sure but when I paid closer attention to the fit and making small adjustments as needed I never had any major issues.  I am not quick to jump up and say we need to try a new brand because this one has been leaking for 3 days.  To me I need to sit down and figure out where I went wrong in the fit of the diaper rather than just moving on from it as I have heard several friends claim to do.  

Then there is also my small (jokingly, not real) OCD as the bottom of the list reason for one brand.  You see I believe that there is a reason that a company uses their insert with their diaper.  In order to get the results that the company is claiming then I would need to make sure that each and every brand of diaper got their specific insert.  To have to reassemble them on little sleep it would drive me nuts with multiple brands.  Even more so, it would drive Hunter nuts to have to do that as well.  Throw in having him, or me for that matter, in the middle of the night try to remember what snap combination worked for what diaper is a disaster waiting to happen.  I know myself well enough to know what will work and what won't.  That scenario won't work for anyone involved.

This may not be the popular choice when it comes to cloth diapering but it is OUR choice.  Please be kind enough to respect our choice.  When I put a question out there on a Cloth Diapering forum I got 200+ messages telling in increasingly disrespectful ways that my decision was wrong and why.  Frankly, if you intend to do that here your comment will be deleted.  It is ok to disagree with my decision as long as you do so in a respectful way.  I hate having to put this out there but sadly I feel its needed.   



______________________________


  If you didn't know you can pick them up at Target.  I however bought ours on amazon as they were a bit cheaper.  We have extremely high taxes here and with free shipping and no tax on amazon it made the most sense.  There was also a small sale on one of the boxes.

Comments

  1. How awesome, i think it's great that you are going to use cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to save some money mainly! I figure this a cute way of doing so.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?