My thoughts on Dance Moms



I have been watching this show from the very beginning.  I'll admit I got wrapped up in the drama among the moms from the start.  Throw any group of strong minded women together and its bound to cause problems.  However the more I watch the show the more I feel bad for the kids.  The Teacher takes her anger and aggression out on her students when it should be directed at the parents.  If your pissed a kid isn't showing up it's not the child's fault.

Growing up I was involved in dance and gymnastics.  I was good.  I was on a similar competitive team in both dance and gymnastics.  I went to the gym or the studio every day after school for several hours.  I also spent most of the weekends at one or the other.  My coaches and teachers were tough on me.  they pushed me to do my best.  They called me out when I was doing simple things wrong.  The catch is they did this is a way that made me better.  Never once did they tell me that I sucked or looked like crap during a performance.  They might tell me that threw away easy points by not focusing.  That I need to fix this or that the next time around.  When we got back into the gym or studio they would have me run that same routine again pointing out what needs to be fixed.  If i couldn't fix it they would teach me how to.  That is what a teacher or coach is supposed to do.

Abby is far from professional.  It may be her name on the building but i doubt she does the majority of work with the students.  She has assistants for that.  Ones that probably treat the kids they way they are supposed to.  Otherwise I highly doubt any parent would send their child there.  I don't mean to discredit her talent by any means.  If she is making up the routines like the show says she does then kudos to her.  But know your role.  You have no right to belittle children even for a TV show.  

Comments

  1. I've watched this show a few times and Abby drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why I keep watching it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?