Adventures in Sewing

With a new sewing machine, accessories, and lots of fabric I set out to learn to sew.  I read the instructions for setting up the maching and got it all working with a little help from Hunter.  A simple tutorial from the internet was all I needed.  Fifteen minutes later I was cutting, ironing, pinning and then came the sewing.


My first batch of burp cloths came out horribly. The lines were shaky. They were anything but rectangular. Worst of all they looked like a 7 year olds sewing project gone wrong. I needed to work on the basics, sewing a straight line. A spool of thread and endless scraps later and I am a bit more confident in sewing a straight line. I decided to return to the second set of burp cloths.

I'll admit this whole sewing thing isn't as easy as I thought. I get the concept but my execution is a bit rough. My lines are straighter and the intended rectangular shape is present in 5 out of 8 burp cloths. I'll count this one as a success for now.





Comments

  1. well, I happen to think you did an excellent job! Thanks again...and maybe I'll sew something today. I want to go to Joann's now and get all kinds of fabric that I'll likely just ruin ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were ok. Better than the first batch I made. It gets better the more you do it clearly. I have noticed that when I am more confident in what I am doing and not worrying about every little mistake I am making they come out better. I have one more batch go so we shall see how it goes.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had time to sew in a few months, but I'm excited to get back into it next month after we move to an actual house. I actually have ROOM to keep my sewing machine out to work on projects. The burp clothes look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They came out looking a bit homemade but thats what they are I guess, Oh how I would love a whole room to dedicate for crafts. One can dream right? I can't wait to see what you make!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

Popular Posts